Saturday, December 10, 2005

Number one

A change in the line-up can make or break a band some times. This band changed bass players and singers after their debut so they had changed a bit by the time they released their sophomore effort in 1985. This is the album that would really boost a strong career for a great band that is still going strong. The number one album hard rock/ metal album of 1985 is.......

Anthrax - Spreading the disease

It did take a few listens for me to decide, but it became obvious that this album deserved it. The bottom line is that this album has an original sound, no weak tracks and moves along very well. It has also aged well, I would say and that's a big compliment for a 20 year old album. This is my favorite Anthrax album as it just edges out Persistence of time and Among the living. Neil Turban was a decent singer, but Joey Belladonna has a far stronger voice and he seemed to be a better fit with the band. Some of my favorite songs on this one are Lone Justice, S.S.C. Stand or fall, Armed and dangerous and Medusa. Unlike most of their later albums, there is not so much one style that runs through the entire album yet they seem confortable with all of the tracks here. One of my favorite things about Anthrax is that I think they have for the most part done what they wanted to do because it's what they like instead of following trends. That doesn't mean everything they have done is good or has been successful, but I do respect them for this. I also think that approach is what has helped set them apart from the pack. It's also good to see this line-up back together as it was far and away the best line-up this band has ever had.

Don't go away yet, I still a few more awards to go. Tomorrow I will do the five best and five worst album covers of 1985 then on Monday will be the Golden Turd of 1985 award. So the top ten plus those two equals twelve which makes it sort of like the 12 days of Christmas only it falls way before Christmas. So maybe it is more like the twelve days near Christmas. Then I will probably shut up for a while. Actually I still have one more 1985 album review for the month of December so I need to do that at some point. Then next month I will have to start reviewing 1986 albums.

2 Comments:

Blogger T-_Bone said...

Interesting choice. Strangely, I think out 1985 top ten lists will have very little in common, if any. I know that Overkill, Anthrax and Armored Saint are all close to number 10 for me.

This top 10 was a very cool read, I am looking forward to 1986, also, that turd of the year idea is cool too.

4:33 AM  
Blogger Metal Mark said...

Thank you. I almost wish I could do the 1986 top ten now, but I have promised to stick to this format. So it will be a year from now before I do that list. In the meantime, I will be reviewing one 1986 album per month once the new year rolls around.

10:12 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home