Monday, December 05, 2005

Number six

I know that if I continue to do these top ten lists that there will be times when I have to grudgingly give spots to bands I may not be thrilled about, but I have to admit it when they put out a good album. However this album is not one of those, in fact this is a band who praises I love to spread. I am glad to give them credit because I feel that they were truly one of the most underrated metal bands ever. Number six goes to....

Armored Saint - Delirious Nomad

Their 1984 debut was a very straight forward metal effort and this album has that sound as it's backbone, but the band grew beyond that sound a little as well. Guitarist Phil Sandoval departed after the debut and the band decided not to replace him and just go with one guitarist. Delirious Nomad shows a growth in the song writing from the previous album as we see a lot more pace changes and a little less repetition. Armored Saint were just putting out very solid metal on this album, but the songs flowed seamlessly for the most part. Every member of the band was very strong, obviously there were no weak spots. John Bush is probably one of the best metal singers of all time and that is not a compliment I throw out all the time. While bands like Manowar used every other song to say they were playing "real metal", Armored Saint didn't feel the need to proclaim it because they just went ahead and played real metal. The bad news for Armored Saint was that they never got a whole lot more popular than they were at this point. The good news for fans was the band would get even better over the next two releases.

I am actually half done at this point. The hint for number five is that even though band formed in the early 1970's they were releasing their debut lp in 1985. Number five will be out Tuesday.

2 Comments:

Blogger T-_Bone said...

I loved Symbol of Salvation. March of the Saint is pretty good too. I need to listed to Delerious Nomad again for my 1985 list.

7:11 AM  
Blogger Metal Mark said...

I think Armored Saint definitely improved with each of their first four albums. Just off the top of my head, I would say Raising Fear is my top five for 1987 and Symbol of salvation is one of my top two albums for 1991. They actually played one show in the summer opening for the Scorpions, but any chance of another album will probably depend on what Anthrax do.

9:42 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home