Thursday, March 23, 2006

Overdose

I read about this a few weeks ago, but just now decided to write about it. Monster Magnet's frontman Dave Wyndorf was hospitalized back on February 27th due to an overdose. The band's manager released a brief statement shortly after that date. There were no specifics as to his condition or what the substance was. The band had finished recording most of the material for their upcoming release which had tentatively been slated for a summer release. Monster Magnet were going to embark on a European tour starting the first week of March. I am not a big fan of this band because I think they are just okay. There was something that troubled me over this piece of news. Sweden's Witchcraft were set to open the European tour for Monster Magnet. Witchcraft's 2005 release Firewood was one of the best albums I heard last year and this tour was going to be a huge opportunity for them. Now the tour had to be cancelled due to Wyndorf's overdose. Witchcraft have managed to get on the bill for a festival next month, but so far that's the only date they have managed to pick up for the spring. That bothers me because I think Witchcraft deserve some attention and now their big plans have been scrapped. I do hope Wyndorf has a speedy recovery, but I also hope that he wises up and straightens out his addiction problems. It's not just him that is suffering from this incident as this undoubtedly effects his band, the band's European fans, his management, the venues they were scheduled to play and the support acts.

2 Comments:

Blogger Metal Mark said...

fredcq-Witchcraft are great. I wish I could hear their debut. It's purposely done to sound like early 70's metal and it does.

5:07 AM  
Blogger :P fuzzbox said...

I saw Monster Magnet open for Kid Rock a while back and they stunk up the joint. Maybe when he gets out of rehab his shows might be worth a damn because their cd's aren't bad.

2:25 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home