Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Picture Discs

For my Heavy Metal memory I chose to write about picture discs as in on vinyl. I don't know who came up with the idea, but picture discs were around quite a bit in the 80's, more in the second half of the decade. I would say that I have between 25-30 picture discs, all metal or hard rock bands I believe. I probably have far more singles than lp's though. Almost half of the ones I own were probably bought at discounted prices. Here are some of my favorites:

Raven and Udo-Born to be wild, seven inch single
I got this probably in 85 or 86 new for $2.oo.

Judas Priest-Sad wings of destiny lp
I got this at a yard sale in 1992 for maybe $3.00. Used, but in perfect shape.

King Diamond-Halloween ep
I bought this in 88 or 89. I think it was a limited pressing and it was like $7 new. Has King with a skull on one side and the band looking at a ghostly vision of the King on the other side.

Twisted Sister-Under the blade lp
Got this for $3 new at a place that was going of business around 1990.

Dio-King of rock and roll seven inch single
Has the dragon from the cover of Sacred Heart. Got this at a store that was clearing out their vinyl so it was around 91 or 92.

Really picture discs were just a bit of a novelty. Just pictures to look at, but I thought they were cool. I never played them much because I didn't want to risk scratching them. I have not bought any in probably 13 years as you probably won't find any for bargain prices anymore.

8 Comments:

Blogger Jeff said...

I've never heard of picture discs before. I guess that reflects my age.

10:34 PM  
Blogger Metal Mark said...

Jeff-I remember seeing some picture discs that were made in 92-93, but not a whole lot after that. You see some going on ebay, but normally at high prices.

4:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was never a big fan of picture disc mainly because you didnt get any real packaging with it. Mostly you would just get a clear sleeve. The only picture discs that I had were Iron Maiden, Two Minutes to Midnight and something by Wasp.

6:54 AM  
Blogger On My Watch said...

I don't remember that either, probably because I was busy buying cassettes. :)

7:54 AM  
Blogger Metal Mark said...

They were not something you would always find in your mall record store. Many of them were imports and the independent record stores seemed to have more of them.

8:45 AM  
Blogger DPTH International said...

Hey Mark,

Thanx for your diplomatic comment on my blog. If that's the case then I made that song part of a Gold Classics series. Ah well, Are picture discs at all like Laser discs? I too have not really heard of picture discs and never really got into records, but went straight to cassettes.

10:28 AM  
Blogger Metal Mark said...

dpth-It's just the vinyl record with a full color picture on it ad it's normally heavier and shinier then a regular vinyl disc. They usually came in just a clear plastic sleeve. They looked neat, but that's about it. They played fine, but I didn't play mine much because I didn't want to scratch them. They were usually slightly higher in price then vinyl records of the same recording that had no picture on them.

10:41 AM  
Blogger David Amulet said...

I don't have any. Sigh. But I'd love that Sad Wings one!

-- david

1:52 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home