Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Demon Angels-Time of confusion, 2006

I first heard of this album when it was released back in October. Then I heard a track from it on a sample in November and finally bought it this month. This is a band formed by Italian guitarist Christ Falco and apparently he recruited former MSG vocalist Robin McAuley to sing 0n this album. McAuley is listed as "special guest" on the credits. Some guest as he does all the vocals, wrote all of the lyrics and produced the album.One of my biggest problems with a number hard rock bands recent years is too many bands seem to play it too safe, too conservative and by the numbers. I think a number of tracks on this album take a stab at a being a bit less conventional in their approach. There are a few more wild riffs thrown in, the vocals cut in quick at times and not everything needs to be smooth as silk. I like that and that's a lot of what caught my attention about this album. Robin McAuley was always a singer who I thought had a great rock voice, but just happened to sing on albums that were just decent. He sounds every bit as good as he did back in like 1990. The album is not perfect, but I like the fact that they seem to care more about just rockin instead of doing a lot of build up. At times it reminds me a little of MSG, the Scorpions and even a song or two have riffs that remind me of early Dio. I think the album may have seemed a little more even if the three heaviest songs weren't the the first three tracks, but that's minor. Also it has eight tracks and clocks in under 35 minutes so I certainly wouldn't been against them having another song or two. I am guessing the special guest label leaves it up into the air as to whether McAuley will do another album with this band. I for one hope he does and I hope that I don't have to wait too long to hear another album. For now I will settle for listening to this album as I have done fairly often over the last few weeks.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Mark,
I got my review posted today for Demon Angels. I think my take is quite similar to yours.

HRH

11:33 AM  
Blogger Metal Mark said...

I commented on your review. I am enjoying this disc a lot right now.

11:44 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home