Monday, August 06, 2007

Lillian Axe-Waters Rising

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Locomotive
2007

It's seems that every hard rock act that began in the 1980's has come back in recent years hoping to cash in. So many times you only get one original member and that's the case here as guitarist Steve Blaze is the sole original member left. All too often recent outputs by returning 80's bands tend to be mere shells of what once was. However this band and their output might actually shatter some of that thinking. This album is a commendable effort at combining some of the band's old sound with a slightly different direction. That direction is generally heavier and more complex as well. It took me about four or five listens for all of it's contents to sink in though because they are really trying to do a great deal here. Songs like "Antarctica" and the title track are real go for the throat pieces that certainly don't play it safe. Tracks like "Fear of time" and "Deep in the black" hear the band masterfully controlling pace changes and styles. I think the band transcends all that I have heard from them in the past. They throw a lot of ideas out there and at times they are combining hard rock, metal and progressive music in a rather relentless manner. You know what? I think they have a winner. I may have alternated some of the heavier tracks with some of the lighter tracks in the track order and a few parts left me feeling a little dry, but all in all this album is slowly making me think it's pretty darn good. Maybe even doubly good for an older band who never got much respect back in the day. Your typical fan of hard rock may not be huge on this because it does tread more into metal and progressive waters some, but they have an undeniable sense of melody and timing as well. I have a feeling that come December I will still playing this one on a regular basis.

10 Comments:

Blogger aXe mAn said...

Well written review. I have been meaning to pick this one up, but have not got around to it yet. I think I will though...

Do you think a fan of the "old" Lillian Axe will like it?

6:41 AM  
Blogger Metal Mark said...

axe man-There are certainly enough touches of their earlier sound in it. It's just a little heavier and more pace changes.

6:46 AM  
Blogger captain corky said...

Good review man. How many hours a day do you devote to music?

7:21 AM  
Blogger Metal Mark said...

Captain Corky-Not as much as you may think. I might get to listen to 2-3 whole cd's a day, maybe more on days I am off from work.

7:46 AM  
Blogger Allyson said...

I love this album. I think it's a great comeback effort. When I wrote as much in my review at my own site, everyone doubted me. Mark, I'm glad you enjoyed it too.

Allyson B. Crawford
www.bringbackglam.com

8:49 AM  
Blogger Metal Mark said...

allyson-I was interested in it after hearing about it at your site a few weeks ago. It's good, but it took a few listens to really get all of it though.

8:51 AM  
Blogger Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

yea, I was curious about this one...sounds listenable at least

4:34 AM  
Blogger DPTH International said...

Not all comeback albums are bad which is nice. But it's a hit and miss situation and more miss then hit unfortunately. Nice review!

10:30 AM  
Blogger bob_vinyl said...

I was pretty skeptical when I read good reviews of this one, but it isn't bad. It's certainly not the embarrassment that a lot of "comeback" are. I wasn't a big Lillian Axe fan the first time around, but I found this to be a pleasant surprise.

7:07 PM  
Blogger Aunt Jackie said...

I loved tesla... thought this was an o.k. album cover.

6:27 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home