Monday, October 22, 2007

Interview with Lizzy Borden

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Vocalist Lizzy Borden formed the band of the same name in the early 1980’s in LA. The band quickly signed to Metal Blade and released several albums during that decade. They also appeared in the film “Decline of western civilization 2:The metal years”. Lizzy returned in 2000 with “Deal with the devil” and a subsequent tour. Now Lizzy is back with a new album called “Appointment with death”.


MM-The new album “Appointment with death” is due out October 30th. It’s a concept album about “Death”. Can you tell us more about the concept and how the idea came about?

Lizzy: I don't call them concept records really, I call them theme based records, the theme for Appointment with Death is, basically I'm playing death and my version of death seeps through all the songs binding them all together. The songs all connect together with the central theme being, death.

MM-This is the first Lizzy Borden album in seven years. How is it different or similar from your previous releases?

Lizzy:
this is the first record we've done as a band unit since 1987, I did Master of disguise and deal with the devil just bringing musicians in. but we wrote as a band for this album and I think it's a continuation and a few steps further from where we left off on deal with the devil as far as where I want to take the band sonically, and I'm very excited and happy about the way it turned out. And the fact that we did it as a band and it still sounds like a traditional Lizzy Borden record is a great tribute to sticking to the original plan all the way through the project with everyone having the same goal.

MM-The band has a new look for this album. Does it fit in with the concept of the album or did you just feel that it was time for a change?

Lizzy:
Yes we worked with a guy named Ralis Kahn and he designed the look of the band as well as the album cover, so yes this does fit the concept and the theme of the record and will be part of the live stage show coming up on the appointment with death tour.

MM-I understand that you will be playing the character of “Death” in your stage show for this tour. Will there be other characters involved in the stage show?

Lizzy:
I am playing death in the new show, and now the band is as much a part of the show as I am each one in character. It's great to have the band be part of the show now more than ever before. I can’t wait for everyone to get a load of us.

MM-What kind of tour do you have planned so far?

Lizzy:
We’re starting out on the east coast in the U.S. doing some CD release party dates on and around Halloween. We are also looking for that elusive support slot that would introduce us to a whole new audience. But we do plan to launch a headlining tour sometime in the middle of 2008.

MM-You have a number of guest musicians on the new album. Did you write the album with the idea of getting guests to play on the songs or did you just recruit people later?

Lizzy:
We’ve been using special guests since the terrorizing EP in 1987. So it's something we like to do. So we just asked some of our friends to come in and have fun with the songs that we wrote and bring something new that we hadn't thought of, and it worked out great. I love having guest musicians it's like the frosting on the cake.

MM-How is new guitarist Ira Black working out? Does he bring anything different to the band?

Lizzy: we auditioned a lot of different players and Ira was the last to come in. He was a fan of Lizzy Borden and was very familiar with our material, so when he came in he was the perfect guy. He added so much to the old material and when we started writing the new album he came in with quite a lot of ideas that were perfectly suited for a Lizzy Borden record in 2007.

MM-Was Starwood a one time project or will there be another album at some point?


Lizzy:
Starwood is a project, but we've already recorded the next record and it's almost done. I just have to put the finishing touches on it and we will release it sometime next year. It’s a much better record than the first one and I can't wait for everyone to hear it.

MM-You have had this band on and off since the early 1980’s. How has your approach to your music changed over the years?

Lizzy:
You become a better songwriter; you learn what works for you and what does not work. But every record I learn something new, I haven't made it to the status quo yet, I hope one day I can just churn these records out but right now it's still a challenge, one that I embrace.

MM-Any regrets in your music career?

Lizzy:
I guess I would've laid off of the blow dryer a little bit more in the early 80s.


www.lizzyborden.com

Thanks to Lizzy for doing the interview.

4 Comments:

Blogger Hard Rock Hideout said...

ROFL at the Hair Dryer comment....that is great! I can't wait to check out the new album. It is on my pull list for next week, will be reviewed at HRH.

1:43 PM  
Blogger taotechuck said...

If the blow dryer is his biggest regret, he obviously hasn't taken a close look at the picture at the top of this interview.

1:57 PM  
Blogger Metal Mark said...

hrh-I hope the album is good.

taotechuck-I was shocked when I first saw the new look. I am reserving judgement until I hear the new album though because that's what I am most concerned about.

8:45 PM  
Blogger Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

HAHAHAHA great parting shot...Lizzy's at Jaxx in VA on Halloween...would love to go, not sure I can

3:54 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home