Thursday, December 03, 2009

Down and Dirty-Live Fast

Photobucket
Self-produced
2009



Judging from the band name, album cover and band photo I expected these teenagers from Chicago to play straight 80's style glam rock. In the end they kind of are and they kind of aren't. Obviously they probably listened to Motley Crue, Ratt and other Sunset Strips bands, but there also more of stripped down sound that is more reminiscent of say early Aerosmith and 70's KISS. Honestly most of this album is simple and I mean incredibly simple like something almost any band could play. The riffs are basic and the lyrics are typical, but there is a certain charm to this band. What really comes through in their songs is that they enjoy this kind of music and that goes a long way in my mind. Their stripped down sound and catchy melodies may not have taken them long to write, but they will stick with after the album ends. There are a lot of group choruses and not a great deal of pace changes, but I definitely found myself falling for their basic approach. The overall style is more hard rock with hints of late rock than it is metal. While I like what's here that's not to say there isn't room for improvement. The production is of demo quality in some spots. The vocals sound fine, but the guitars could be louder and there are a few tracks where the drum sound could really benefit from beefier sound. While I appreciate what they have done in this album, I would definitely expect them to continue to grow and expand their music. Like I said they are young so they are likely learning with each show they play. They have only been around for about two years as they formed out of the ashes of Skizm. I like what they have done so far and am looking forward to hearing what they come up with down the road.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home