Monday, May 10, 2010

Judas Priest-British Steel 30th anniversary edition

Photobucket
Sony
2010

Many fans consider British Steel to be a landmark album of sorts for Priest. That's probably true more with the band's popularity and appeal on this side of the Atlantic. The band obviously think highly of the album since they celebrated the anniversary a year early with their tour in order to have this CD/DVD in our hot little hands when the actual 30th anniversary hit. The first part of the set is the Legacy edition disc from 2001 with the bonus tracks of Red, white and blue and a live version of Grinder. I didn't buy the 2001 version because I already my old copy that I purchased back around 1989 or 90. Oftentimes and album can say it's re-mastered, but you may not hear much of a difference in sound quality. Not so this time around as the quality is remarkably clear. Every beat, guitar lick and word hits harder than ever. The album as a whole took half a step up in my estimation just do to the know fiddling that was done here. This is new, but not to most people. The majority of fans who have this set on their shopping lists are buying this because of the DVD. Recorded live in Florida last year on their British Steel Anniversary tour this disc has the band churning out British Steel in it's entirety plus a few old favorites at the end of their set. The film quality is spotless with steady camera work and a good variety of camera angles. The sound quality is also everything it should be which means it's loud and bone rattling. The music itself is crushing and the British Steel tracks have certainly aged well for being thirty years old. Grinder still crushes, Steeler is a brain melter and You don't have to be old to be wise allows the entire band to attack your senses. My only really problem with this disc is that Rob Halford seems like his just isn't in it. His voice is there for sure, but he just seemed tired and often just goes through the motions. I know he has been at it for a long and perhaps he has some physical pain, but his stage presence seemed sorely lacking on this show.The crowd were certainly wound up tight and ready to explode. Not perfect, but a good way to celebrate a fine album.

Labels: , , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger bob_vinyl said...

I agree that remastering doesn't always make a significant difference, but when you compare 80s and very early 90s CDs to the remastered versions, there have been enough advances in the mastering technology to make it count. It would be nice if the labels who pushed the substandard quality of old analog albums on CD at that time would give you some kind of rebate for the remastered versions. I'm not holding my breath though.

8:33 AM  
Blogger Quiet Authority said...

I saw them on tour last year and I have to agree that Halford's physical performance is lacking. I think his heart is still there but physically he's just hanging on. Vocally, he still gets it done. I've never read him saying anything about neck/back pain but it's obvious he has some type of it. Even my girl leaned over to me during the show and asked "what's wrong with him?" He barely makes eye contact with the audience.

I don't go for the whole reissue/remaster w/ bonus tracks stuff unless it's an album I didn't already own but I think I'm going to pick this album up just because I'm a huge fan of the band and I liked last year's live album they put out. This edition is a pretty cool deal, especially if you go through their website.

4:20 PM  
Blogger Metal Mark said...

Bob-I wouldn't hold my breath on that either.

Justin-It does look like neck,back or maybe even hip pain. He doesn't move like he used to and he appears slow to bend. Even when he does head bang or move he just doesn't show any expression like it's a strain on him.

4:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

if i never hear halford sing live again (or even a new record), it will be too soon. after point of entry i was done.

10:49 AM  
Blogger Heff said...

Rob Halford is OLD, dude. Even the Metal God gets tired !

11:45 AM  
Blogger Ian said...

I saw them on the 08 tour at Devore, CA and Heaven & hell embarrassed them. Halford was simply not physically up to the task. The band played OK (not great, just OK) and Rob just couldn't hit the notes.

Plus he never made eye contact with his audience...he sang to the floorboards.

Agree with bob vinyl about the remasters having gotten genuinely better recently but hey, there's never been a business that's sucked more from selling you the same thing over and over again than the record biz, and that's even less likely to change in today's download-wacky environment.

They'll continue to milk every penny they can out of every supposed sonic upgrade and oh-we-added-one-lame-extra-demo-version-of-one-track "expanded version" of the same release you already own two previous versions of.

12:38 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home