Saturday, August 13, 2011

Anthrax-"The Devil You Know" Single

Megaforce Records
2011

Anthrax has obviously taken a page out of Metallica's playbook and decided the best way to build anticipation for their album is to release random singles before the whole affair drops later next month. With Worship Music due in the stores on September 13th Anthrax has momentum on their side thanks in no small part to the Big Four tour appearances and the fan enthusiasm for the return of Joey Belladonna. Well, at least some fans seem happy to have Joey back on board again. While some feel that John Bush gave the band a much needed boost I have always felt that Anthrax lost their appeal once Joey was let go. For me Anthrax always had their own brand of metal and when they were on top (everything up to 1988's State of Euphoria is killer Anthrax in my opinion with 1990's Persistence of Time being the last one I could listen to the whole way through) there was no stopping them. Now though for a band that was formed in 1981 it seemed as if they were showing their age and were washed up. In no way am I saying that Worship Music will be Anthrax's comeback album. With only two songs released so far it is way too early to make that call. But, if "The Devil You Know" is an example of what we have in store then just maybe the band has a little left to prove. So far Worship Music is two for two with "The Devil You Know" reminding me of vintage Anthrax. Honestly for me at least these two new songs are better than anything off of Metallica's last album. I am sure I'll catch hell for that little one, but Anthrax sound inspired. Worship Music just might surprise folks.


3 Comments:

Blogger Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

Wait until you hear the rest of Worship Music. Not to shamefully plug, but I have a writeup of WM at The Metal Minute and this album is well up to the moment.

11:25 PM  
Blogger Andy said...

I just read your review Ray and I must say you really have me looking forward to hearing the rest of Worship Music. I know Mark has requested a copy so we will have to wait and see. By the sounds of it Worship Music just might be the best Anthrax album in years!

6:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the stuff i heard from the new one is reminiscent of State of Euphoria and Persistence of Time era stuff.

7:55 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home